Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 7 11 8:41 AM

Tags : :

Would love to hear from everyone how each of you preserve and maintain you priceless comic collection.What methods do u think will be most effective in protecting the comics from natural as well as unnatural disasters.Which part of the Indian home do u think will be the safest to store the comics at? shelves,attics,cupboards.etc
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 8 11 8:25 PM

Re: Preserving,Maintaining and Storing Comics

Hello Blitz,first of all,welcome at this forum!
Now,for safe-keeping,the technique varies from persaon to person,plus,from one country to another.I can speak about my way..it's always like these following ways:
1.Proper handling(utmost important if you want the books to last long after several reading).
2.Keeping the book in a proper place like show-case(close) etc and use of naphthalene balls for precaution against termite attack!
3.Binding..allthough not necessary but I have done this many time...but many of my books are single too!

There are several other ways that I heard from other fans...

By the way,from which part(India/other country) you belong??As you have rasied this unique question,may we know your way of keeping??new ideas are welcome!

Best Wishes,
Hojo

For Forum updates,visit my Indrajal blog: http://dara-indrajal.blogspot.com/

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 10 11 4:25 PM

Hi Hojo!

Thanks for posting the methods you adopt to preserve your comic collection.My methods are almost the same.
* I pack each comic in a transparent sleeve bag which fits the comic size and seal it inside airtight using cellotape.Comic collectors overseas seem to be using something called as a mylar sleeve for this purpose.But I could not find it in India.

*Then I place each collection in separate cardboard boxes.Throw in naphthalene balls and stash the boxes away in shelves

I am from Chennai.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 11 11 8:41 PM

I always LOVE to meet/interact with those book readers who take care of their collection passionately so that one will find pretty old books/magazines in quite good/near mint condition even after many years!!
[quote]I pack each comic in a transparent sleeve bag which fits the comic size and seal it inside airtight using cellotape.
Yeah..I heard some fans do this way.I personally have seen few of these(got during some exchanges).By the way,I guess it'll need lot of time as well as bags specially if you have a decent collection!ain't??
Between Blitz,what kind of comic books you collect most as physical copies??Donno about Cheenai but once heard that Hydrabad has a famous old-book-market where plenty ol' issues were easily available..

Best Wishes,
Hojo

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Jun 11 11 9:23 PM

Yeah,its quite tedious bagging every comic book in ones collection.Its better to bag them as and when u procure them instead of allowing a huge pile to build up and then trying to bag everything at one go.

I collect anything which triggers nostalgia,especially the comics from the 80's and 90's.

I have never been to hyderabad so no idea about the markets there.Chennai does not have any big book markets where one can find old comic books.There is one called moore market which once seems to have had lots of old stuff. But now the shop keepers there deal primarily with engineering and other academic books.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 12 11 12:45 PM

hmm..here in Kolkata we "used to have" a decent market of old books(both novels & comics) where rare comics were selling @low/affordable rates,BUT NO MORE since the last 2 years,due to some balck-marketiers. I have allmost stopped visitng those places in last 1.5 years or so..
[quote]I collect anything which triggers nostalgia,especially the comics from the 80's and 90's.

Me too!chhers!!you collect lottsa titles then!yep,it's all about NOSTALGIA(more than the actual reading). I try to collect those from '60s/'70s aswell but books are less avaialble from those eras.
So Blitz,join in our several comic threads in the ongoing topics or better,post your own topic.Crave to discuss old comic stories,haha!!

Best Wishes,
Hojo

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 8 14 10:34 AM

i put my comics in zip pouches. i fold them to make sure that the comics inside is wrapped properly but i dont cellotape them. because i take my comics out to read regularly, i see no point in doing so as it will only ruin the pouch. this way i dont have to buy them again and again. i stash them in my bed cabin. u know how the old beds were, there used to be a cabon kinda structure to put in your beddings. i use that to store my collection. and put in some napthalene balls.

i dont think mylar bags and boards are available in india. atleast i dont have any knowledge.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help